Wednesday, April 12, 2006

April 12th (annual event) - Yuri's Night

Alright, first let me say that my friend, Robin, has put me in a pickle. I asked if anyone had suggestions and darned if she didn't shoot me a great one. However, I really want to do the one I'd picked for today, so Mr. Paul Horiuchi will be an August entry instead (the month of his death).

"...Now for our regularly scheduled program..."

April 12

Every April 12th since 2001, people from around the world gather to celebrate the journeys of Yuri Gagarin (1934-1968) on April 12, 1961 and the Space Shuttle Columbia (1981-2003) on April 12, 1981.

“Yuri’s Night is the global celebration of human space travel…” From the Yuri’s Night website.

This year, the parties are on every continent and are celebrating the 45th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin’s historic flight as the first human in space and the 25th anniversary of STS-1, Columbia’s maiden voyage.

Yuri’s Night was dreamed up by Loretta Hidalgo, George Whitesides and Trish Garner. At the 2004 event in LA, Nichelle Nichols even showed up.

That would be tonight, folks, so go out and have fun celebrating space travel! "Beam me up, Scotty!"

Links:
Yuri’s Night: 2006
Wikipedia – Yuri’s Night

2 comments:

Robin said...

Whoah, we have to wait until August to read all about Paul? Darn! Love the Uri entry, seeing I'm an astronomy buff and just about anything to do with outer and inner space.

Brother Luigi seemed to resent my invading his space in "My Space", so abandoned my blog there. Fine, "My Space" is still available, so I can read his junkola any time I choose. In the meantime am setting up my own blog called "The White Boar". Egads, these things do take time and patience.

Happy Passover, Easter!

Shadowspun said...

I'm trying to plan a few days ahead since there's a little bit of research involved.

Let me know what the addy is when you finish it. This should be fun.